Sunday, August 17

Cherquerboard Cookies

Here in Ireland there is a TV show called The Great Irish Bake Off. From what I've seen on twitter apparently there is also one in Brittan.  This is possibly one of my favourite-favourite programmes (apart from Grey's Anatomy). It's just so darn lovable and edible. I love watching the uber cool cake designs they come up with and then the dreaded technical challenge. Oh yes that dreaded technical challenge! Dun dun dun. 
Before I made these chequerboard cookies I was like "those challenges are not challenges - anyone can make that!". And now here I am eating my words (and cookies ^_^).  I miserably failed at getting the cookies anywhere near squares and they all look crusty and just ugh. The taste makes up for all that though. Yum!
The GIBO is sadly now over and I feel a little lost without anything to watch because there is absolutely nothing on TV. I know, I know, it's summer and i should be outside in the sun but I'm more like a hibernating vampire and so anything outside these four walls may fatally scare me to death.
Anyway, why don't you have a go and see if you can get them to look square and even.


Ingredients
For Vanilla Dough 
300g plain flour
150g caster sugar
150g butter
1 egg
Few drops of Vanilla Essence    

For Chocolate Dough
300g plain flour
150g caster sugar
150g butter
1 egg
20g cocoa powder         

Method
1. Cream butter and sugar together until they're light and fluffy.
2. Add egg and vanilla essence and mix again
3. Sieve in flour and use your hands to bring together to a smooth dough. Wrap in cling film and place in fridge until firmer.
4. Repeat steps for other dough.
5. Assemble cookies by rolling out the doughs and cutting 9 equal strips from each. Build biscuits as in the picture with egg wash to stick.
6. Wrap the logs in remaining dough and cute into squares, then place them on a tray. 
7. Bake in an oven at 140° for 12 minutes.
8. When they have cooled you can dip them in melted chocolate.


Ready, Set, Bake!
Marian ^_^

4 comments:

  1. I was going to go outside and exercise or be social, but instead I might bake some of these cookies and bring them back to my lair..

    - F

    P. S. I nominated you for The Sunshine Award :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ^_^ Cookies always trumps being social!
      Thank you very much - this award appears to be in a never ending cycle.

      Delete
  2. THE BAKE-OFF!!! It's only just started here - tomorrow will be episode 4! OOH I'M EXCITED, I was on holiday for the first three so this will be my first! :D :D

    These cookies look AMAZING. I will definitely be giving them a go!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I simply LOVE the GIBO! :D
    Welcome back ^_^
    Thank you! You do that - hopefully you'll have better luck at making them "square". ^_^

    ReplyDelete

I solemnly swear to reply every time ^_^