Wednesday, August 13

Millenium Trilogy

After four months, I have finally finished it. The Millennium trilogy consists of three very large books and each require a lot of attention and time. Therefore *cough cough* I do not recommend reading them when you're doing exams ... speaking from experience.

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
Harriet Vanger, a scion of one of Sweden's wealthiest families disappeared without a trace more than forty years ago. All these years later, her aged uncle continues to try to discover what happened to her. He hires Mikael Blomkvist, a journalist recently sidelined by a libel conviction, to investigate. Blomkvist is aided by the pierced and tattooed computer prodigy Lisbeth Salander. Together they tap into  vein of unfathomable iniquity and astonishing corruption on their way to discovering the truth of Harriet Vanger's fate.



My Thoughts... These books are not for the faint hearted. There is a lot of very graphic and disturbing descriptions and it is in no way from the YA genre. However, it is a hugely compelling story that is both addictive and repulsive. The characters are none like I've seen before and will forever stay in my mind. This trilogy is heavy in Swedish politics but still proves very engrossing. It is by far the best mystery, crime, thriller I have ever read.

The Characters... Lisbeth Salander is the main character but in reality, you don't finally get to know her until the second book. The first one focuses mainly on Blomkvist. He is your typical womaniser and a very intelligent journalist.  On the other hand, Slander is one of the strangest, coolest, most complicated,  messed up, and yet so endearing character I have ever come across. Words just don't do her justice.

Quotes...
-"Don’t ever fight with Lisbeth Salander. Her attitude towards the rest of the world is that if someone threatens her with a gun, she’ll get a bigger gun.” 
-“Normally seven minutes of another person's company was enough to give her a headache so she set things up to live as a recluse. She was perfectly content as long as people left her in peace. Unfortunately society was not very smart or understanding.” 
-"Men could be as big as a house and made of granite, but they all had balls in the same place.” 

Interesting Fact... Millennium was supposed to be a series but Stieg Larsson died before he could finish it. However, there is an unfinished draft on his laptop that his partner is in possession of but she refuses to hand it over.

Do I recommend? YES! Definitely! The characters are brilliant. The plot is brilliant. The book is just - !! you just have to read it!

★★★★
Marian ^_^

2 comments:

  1. I'm also into bleak Scandinavian crime novels, so it is strange that I haven't read this series yet. I will definitely be taking your recommendation, though! If you're into this genre, I'd recommend Sun Storm/The Savage Alter (name varies by edition) by Åsa Larsson, which is about a big-city lawyer investigating the gruesome murder of a pastor and uncovering much corruption in her old hometown. Also, I don't know if you want to think about this or not, but I hope you got what you wanted in the LC :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks - I'll definitely keep my eye open for that book!
      :D I'm really happy with my points. Got so much more than I was expecting! ^_^ I still think that they have to belong to someone else because I thought the LC went DRASTIC.
      Oh and definitely read Millennium!

      Delete

I solemnly swear to reply every time ^_^