Thursday, September 4

Will Grayson, Will Grayson

This was one of the many books I brought with me to Spain this Summer. I sat outside at the pool one morning and opened the first page. That evening I closed the last. No doubt, it is a very easy read (-->there's no Swedish politics or hundreds of names you need to remember). I was very excited to finally read Will Grayson, Will Grayson as John Green is one of my favourite authors. It was also an interesting twist to read a story written by two people. David Levithan's writing compared to John Green's had a lot of differences and also similarities.

One cold night, in a most unlikely corner of Chicago, two teens—both named Will Grayson—are about to cross paths. As their worlds collide and intertwine, the Will Graysons find their lives going in new and unexpected directions, building toward romantic turns-of-heart and the epic production of history’s most fabulous high school musical.


What I thought... Okay. This book was not what I expected. At first I was just reading along, enjoying new people, new places and then bam! I was addicted. I fell in love with the two Will Graysons. They were both so interesting and different and yet through it all very connected. Switching PoV from chapter to chapter gave two perspectives of the same situation. I was intrigued how differently they viewed their friends. I mean, it wasn't hard to get mixed up. I also wonder why David's Will was written in lowercase...? Anyway the story, the characters and even the setting are all very vivid.

On the Characters... David's Will Grayson, I found, was rather annoying. He had this whole self pity and moping thing going on that really bugged me. I know he had good reason to be and I understood why but I just didn't like it. Though by the end of the book I had grown a lot fonder of him. His journey from the start to the end is really spectacular. And that moment at the end with all the Will Graysons is just.... so inspiring and motivating. The other Will Grayson seemed far more ordinary and typical in comparison. Yet, I could relate to him a lot more. An then there is Tiny. Ah yes; Tiny. I really loved him but hated him at the same time. I think he was the most real of all.

On another note... This was actually first book I have ever read where being gay plays a central role. Will Grayson Will Grayson is a book I must applaud for being very 21st century and dealing with real world things like depression, relationships, homosexuality, betrayal, trust and underage drinking.


{Quotes} 

“When things break, it's not the actual breaking that prevents them from getting back together again. It's because a little piece gets lost - the two remaining ends couldn't fit together even if they wanted to. The whole shape has changed.” 

“this is why we call people exes, I guess - because the paths that cross in the middle end up separating at the end. it's too easy to see an X as a cross-out. it's not, because there's no way to cross out something like that. the X is a diagram of two paths.” 

★★★

 Happy Reading.
Marian  ^_^

3 comments:

  1. Eh, I know exactly what you mean - i didn't really like this book to be honest even though SO many people rave about it. i thought it was 'ok' but..as you said, the main character annoyed me and I ended up actually DNF-ing it part way through. :O
    However, as always, no matter whether I like the book or not, JOHN GREEN IS FREAKING QUOTABLE TO THE MAX. The things you find in his books <333
    Awesome review and thanks for stopping by IT WAS LOVELY READING YOU. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just saw your comment tagline. I APPROVE.

      Delete
    2. YES! Exactly! I usually love John Green's books but the characters and the story line and just kinda everything was just - meh.
      Haha, I'm glad you like it!!
      Thanks! ^_^

      Delete

I solemnly swear to reply every time ^_^