Tuesday, December 2

An Abundance of Katherines

As the final John Green book I had left to read, I was trying to prolong this book as long as possible. It waited a total of 8 months and 12 days on my book shelf. Now that it's all over, that I have no more John Green books left, all I can think is "-what now?".  It's kind of an end of an era. Similar to how I felt after Harry Potter ( but not nearly as drastic ) . John Green is definitely one of my favourite authors. It's not like he wrote one great book, he wrote a number of varying degrees of greatness. So I look forward to a next instalment, whenever that may be.

19 Katherines and counting...
When it comes to relationship, Colin Singleton's type is girls named Katherine. And when it comes to girls name Katherine, Colin is always getting dumped. Nineteen times, to be exact. On a road trip miles from home, this anagram-happy, washed-up child prodigy has ten thousand dollars in his pocket, a blood-thirsty feral hog on his trail, and an overweight Judge Judy-Loving best friend riding shotgun - but no Katherines. Colin is on a mission to prove The Theorem of Underlying Katherines Predictability, which he hopes will predict the future of any relationship, avenge Dumpees everywhere, and finally win him the right girl.



The Story:
It is basically about how two boys go on a road trip to clear their heads and end up staying in the first place they visit. As a big fan of Road trips, adventures and all the jazz, I was instantly drawn to this book. I love the idea of bring free, getting lost, not knowing where the next road will take you. It's sort of exile rating. But, to my dismay,  this book doesn't revolve around my idealistic road trip. There is an actual story behind it. And a good one too for that matter. Colin embarks on a journey which helps him, I think, discover himself and what is really important. There's all this nonsense about being a prodigy that really i didn't get. I just don't believe in "prodigies" or whatever he was on about. Everyone has a brain and individually we all use that brain differently. For Colin, one way he (impressively) uses his brain is by anagramming. He's a very intelligent fellow, and decides to make a formula that shows how a relationship progresses. Throughout the book there were all these side notes with a whole bunch of information that I found fascinating. Big thumbs up for that! I also loved how the book was written. As with any john Green book there is a distinct flow to the sentences that makes you go "-that has to be John Green...!" He has a witty way of telling stories with gripping story lines, fascinating learnings and some of the most wonderful characters. The only other problem I had with Katherines was the ending. It was just so predictable. But there was a sense of revelation and conclusion.



The Characters:
My favourite character has to be Hassan. He is Colin's best friend who accompanies him on this road trip. He's just genuinely a wonderful character that I would love to be friends with in real life.



The Cover:
I love nearly all of John Green's book covers. They all share this bold colour scheme with sharp lines. This cover really stands out because of the red. I like the light bulb image because of the whole idea of "Eureka" ( I thought it was very clever ). And how the letters in the background all form Katherine, just like an anagram.... dun dun dun!



Movie?
An Abundance of Katherines was optioned by a small production company that in the end couldn’t get a movie together; they're now working with a different production company with the hopes of setting it up somewhere, but that’s a long way off.
Anyway, for Colin Singleton I would pick Nick Robinson. And for Lindsey, I'm not entirely sure, but for some strange reason I can see Elizabeth Gillies as her, but I feel like she should have blond hair...


Favourite Quotes
“He liked the mere act of reading, the magic of turning scratches on a page into words inside his head.” 

"How do you just stop being terrified of getting left behind and ending up by yourself forever and not meaning anything to the world?”


 ★ ★ ★ ★
Eureka!
Marian  ^_^

4 comments:

  1. I'm sure you won't have to wait long to get another John Green book. I think he mentioned that he was writing another book in one of his vlog brothers videos.

    Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've read The Fault in Our Stars and Paper Towns, and I read halfway through Looking for Alaska (I didn't DNF it I actually had to return it to the library because it was due...), but I haven't read An Abundance of Katherines yet... I'm glad you liked it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh, you should definitely try to finish Looking for Alaska. That was my favourite. Must say I didn't get the whole phenomenon about Paper Towns, can't wait for the movie though :D
      And TFiOS is just brilliant, even with it's annoying hype.
      Do read Katherines, and Will grayson Will grayson too! ^_^

      Delete

I solemnly swear to reply every time ^_^