Wednesday, May 13

A Home for Books : The Bookshelf Link-Up

Sunny over at her lovely blog A Splash of Ink is hosting a Link-Up. And the wonderful theme is of course books! More so how we organise our beloved books. But books!! I think that's my favourite topic. I could talk FOREVER about books. The stories, the characters, the covers, the fonts....! But let's just focus on the organisation of books. A nicer way to put it - Where my Books live.

1. If you can, share a picture of your bookshelves.

I have two main areas for my books.  My bookshelf which is full ( there, by the door ) and another shelf over my desk that also holds teddy bears and little trinkets. Up until a week ago though, most of those books were scattered around my room serving as tables and holding doors open.

2. How do you sort your books?

I like to keep all my tbr books separate from all the other books I have read. Currently my to-be-read books are on top of the bookshelf. There is about 15-20 of them. Then everything else is organised by author and then prettiness of the spines. I don't like to have too many dark covers close together.

3. Do you have any special trinkets or decorations on your shelves, or are they purely business?

I have a few cute ornaments like snow globes and jewellery boxes on the shelf. I also have a little origami collection made from different friends. My room is really small so everything is squished together and can look very cluttered. I also have a Time Turner from Harry Potter that I bought at a comic book store in Paris that I keep in its box proudly on the shelf. Everything I love is kept there. I really want to get some fairy lights to hang around it.


4. What genre dominates your bookshelf? Or what genres make up your bookshelf?


YA. Mostly. Followed by Fantasy and Contemporary with a hint of classic.

5. Are there any books on your shelf that you're particularly proud of?

All of them! I love each and every one of my precious books! But I do LOVE LOVE my Harry Potters. They're getting old and faded but they are one of those things I couldn't live without. I haven't taken a proper picture of them but they are on the middle shelf of my bookshelf in that little photo up there.

6. What is the ratio between read books and TBR books on your shelf?

Ehmmm...... maybe 3:1. I do have a lot of borrowed books that I haven't read. They are in a different part of my room so alas are not in any photos. But my TBR pile continues to grow.

7. What is the most recent addition to your bookshelf?

I bought these beauties yesterday: ^_^

8. Describe your dream bookshelf setup.
The only way I can describe it is through Belle's library in Beauty and the Beast. I want a whole library for a bookshelf. I want ladders and stairs and hideaways. A little book nook with comfy cushions and an old window to look out at the rain. And a secret door that looks like part of the shelf!
*sigh*
That was fun! And thanks to Sunny! Be sure to stop by her blog and see what others have linked up!
Happy Reading!
Marian ^_^

15 comments:

  1. So many books :D
    That is a well arranged shelf :)

    Neal Kind
    Daily Diaries

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. XD Thank you. I think it's possible to have more... ^_^

      Delete
  2. Bookshelves actually make me so happy. Yours are lovely. I see so many that I own! Also I like the artful spattering of origami :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too ^_^ Thank you. I tend to buy books that I see on other blogs so most would be well known around the blogosphere. Thank you. I really like origami. And they are all very sentimental because they are made by different friends I have. ^_^

      Delete
  3. Ooooo! Thanks for linking up! I love how neatly all your books are organized on the first shelf. The spines are all the same size!! Did you do that on purpose or did it just work out that way? I'm also in love with all your trinkets on the second shelf. The Harry Potter time turner, I need it in my life. And the origami is so neat!

    I just loving seeing everyone's bookshelves! Thanks again for being a part of this:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had fun! The same size spines thing just sort of happened :/ I mean - um - yeah, I totally did that on purpose. You know me. Smart Cookie :L
      Thanks. I love collecting little cute things. I've worn the Time Turner once ( it was the most magical time of my life! ) but I'm terrified something could happen to it so it is safely stored in the box. Origami is pretty <3

      I'm going to go see everyone else's now :) Thanks Sunny!

      Delete
  4. On my bookshelves, there are just too many of them I haven't read! But I love playing with my bookshelf - re-arranging them over and over again! In fact, my two roommates and I just made a mutual decision to put our boardgames in the living room, so that gave me an ENTIRE NEW SHELF to put books on! It's empty at the moment, so later today I'm about to re-arrange my books! YAY :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the problem being a reader. I'm always buying more and more books so I nearly always have a huge amount of books I haven't read. And then when I do read one, somehow two new books take its place! You are so lucky to have a WHOLE NEW SHELF! More room for books!!! XD Organising books is so much fun. I just love to look at their prettiness ^_^

      Delete
  5. Thanks for stopping by over at my blog!

    You have some pretty great books on your shelves. The Knife Of Never Letting Go is among my favourite YA books ever, A Game Of Thrones is probably my favourite fantasy series and I've been meaning to read my copy of Catch 22 for a while, but it looks pretty great, so it's cool to see that you have it too.

    A few months ago I did up my room (I got a new bed, new desk and a record player) and unfortunately I had to downgrade my bookshelf so now there are books EVERYWHERE, in every single space I can possibly put them. Now, only the best books get onto the actual shelf, so it's pretty good fun deciding which ones have to get relegated. Well, as fun as organising bookshelves can be.

    On a different note, where do you buy your books? I live in north Wicklow so I'm able to buy my books in all the Dublin shops, and I was wondering what ones you like.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem :) I really enjoyed your blog.

      Thanks you. All three of those are currently on my to-read pile. I am particularly excited to read GoT. It's just everywhere right now.

      Oooh! Lucky. I'd love to be able to redec my room. But the bookshelf! NO! The poor books - I wouldn't be able to decide who gets more love over another....! :o

      I'm from Cork so my favourite places to buy books are Waterstones and Easons. I also love Vibes and Scribes. You can find some real gems in there. You are lucky to live so close to Dublin. I think I've been there a max of 5/6 times. And that was mainly to go to the airport or a match.
      *virtual hug on being Irish* ^_^

      Delete
    2. I've actually never been to Cork city, which always really surprises me. I've been out to west Cork three times (and am a fan of Whyte Books in Schull) but I've never been to the city some reason. I am really lucky to live near Dublin though. I'm pretty spoiled for choice. If you're ever there again definitely go to Hodges Figgis on Dawson Street (just beside Grafton Street). It's absolutely HUGE and has an amazing selection in every genre possible. There are some great ones that are smaller, but if you're in Dublin you have to go to Hodges FIggis.

      Delete
    3. Really!?! Pfft... West Cork and Cork City are like two different countries :L Actually I think I've only been to West Cork once... maybe twice... yeah I went to the beach :)
      EVERYTHING is in Dublin! Whenever I may be there next I will definitely visitt that book shop. It sounds AMAZING! :D I promise!

      Delete
  6. I was so envious when I read that you were able to find a Time Turner.. Getting one was the ultimate goal of my childhood! Did it cost very much?

    Also, I nominated you for the Versatile Blogger Award :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehehe. I did in Paris! It was €70!!! I had to sacrifice food for it but I think it was worth it ^_^

      Thank You!!!! ^_^

      Delete
  7. I spy the Knife of Never Letting Go! Loved that book--I have the exact same copy. :) The way you edit your pictures is very lovely, and I'm glad to see another origami lover!!

    Thanks for stopping by @ what can I say

    ReplyDelete

I solemnly swear to reply every time ^_^