Tuesday, January 31

January Book Reviews

I’ll Give you the Sun

It’s taken me quite a while to find the words to write this review. And sadly I’m afraid I still have not found them. You see to some this book may be just another YA about love, pain and general life struggles but to me turning the pages was like walking through a secret garden with fairy lights hung in all the right places.


Jude and her twin Noah were incredibly close - until a tragedy drove them apart, and now they are barely speaking. Then Jude meets a cocky, broken, beautiful boy as well as a captivating new mentor, both of whom may just need her as much as she needs them. What the twins don't realise is that each of them has only half the story and if they can just find their way back to one another, they have a chance to remake their world.

Author: Jandy Nelson

The Cover: It’s yellow. And it’s that really nice warm yellow that looks like a sunset on a perfect day.

The Characters: Noah and Jude are the protagonists. I hated them and loved them during different parts of the book. Then finally at the end I understood who they truly were and not just the little snapshots I had previously judged them on. Truth be told I am madly in love with both of them and practically all the characters in this book.

The Plot: it was perfect! You know how you try to make a jigsaw without a picture to help and you have no idea what it is your making until its left until the last the few pieces. That is essentially this book.


 Why Should you read it? The best reason I can think of, is that it makes you feel something. I mean heartache, joy, inspiration, love, creativity, anger, sadness - it’s all there! If you’re a fan of art, you’ll enjoy the colour in this book and the personality of Noah. Major hyperbole but that’s just him.

Why Shouldn’t you read it? I can’t find any rational reason, but if you are a heartless, cold and non-dreamer then you may not like it ( that much )


Seeing as the max stars you can give a book is 5 I give it 5 but if I could, I’d give it all the stars.
★ ★ ★ ★ ★

The Girl On The Train

I am not a thriller reader and therefore my opinion on whether this book is a good “thriller” is irrelevant but as I am a reader I can say for sure that it is a brilliant read.



Every day the same: 
Rachel takes the same commuter train every morning and night. Every day she rattles down the track, flashes past a stretch of cozy suburban homes, and stops at the signal that allows her to daily watch the same couple breakfasting on their deck. She’s even started to feel like she knows them. Jess and Jason, she calls them. Their life—as she sees it—is perfect. Not unlike the life she recently lost. 
 Until Today:
 And then she sees something shocking. It’s only a minute until the train moves on, but it’s enough. Now everything’s changed. Unable to keep it to herself, Rachel goes to the police. But is she really as unreliable as they say? Soon she is deeply entangled not only in the investigation but in the lives of everyone involved. Has she done more harm than good?

Author: Paula Hawkins

The Cover: The blurry train passing makes it look super creepy. I was a little creeped out but not enough to say it’s a horror. There is violence, murder etc. but not very graphic.

The Characters: Annoying. All of them. Not in a way that made me want to stop reading but in the way that is human. It makes for a more realistic story.

The Plot: The start is all about a woman who is now single, an alcoholic, unemployed and still in love with her ex-husband. As well as that she is so nosey and obsessive with other peoples’ lives. I guess there is nothing that interesting in her own. Things get very interesting when a girl goes missing. And the rest is all about trying to find out what happened to her.

Why Should you read it? It’s already a movie, and I think it is important to read a book before it becomes a movie ( no idea why I think that ) . The story is gripping and I would never have guessed the ending.

Why Shouldn’t you read it? Maybe if you’re too young or if the book is too depressing ( it’s sad watching a person becoming less of themselves as they spiral downwards with alcohol ).

I give this book 4 stars.
★ ★ ★ ★ 

Pigeon-Blood Red

A loan shark gangster, a lowlife gambler, a ruby necklace and a double murder. It’s your classic noir thriller.


After an unfaithful husband and his lover try to double-cross a loan shark, they endanger the lives of the man's unsuspecting wife and an old flame who comes to her rescue. Pursued by a "killer with a conscience" the wife and her newly found protector must decide what to do with a stolen ruby necklace worth millions. And their pursuer must decide what to do with them: murder them as ordered -- although one of them saved his life -- or refuse and risk the life of the woman of his life

The Cover: Without the dark, ominous cover and spatter of blood, I probably would have no idea what this book is about. Maybe something about pigeon raising and their red blood.... Turns out that Pigeon-Blood Red is a type of ruby necklace. Really great cover. 

The Plot: Even though a lot happened in “part one”, there was nothing unexpected and I found the pace quite sluggish. It just didn’t grab me the way I wanted. Things looked up though in the second part when I became very intrigued, particularly by the characters. It had the potential for a thrilling end but the suspense just wasn’t there.

The Characters: Without the in depth characters, this book would have failed. The main character appears to be Robert, an unfaithful husband who steals the ruby necklace from his loan shark, but in actual fact as the story progresses I was deeply enthralled by Rico. That guy is a mystery and a masterpiece. If this was a movie, I could see Sylvester Stallone playing him. You never really get to know him but from his actions and POV you can see glimpses of a good guy underneath all that muscle. Secondly, Robert’s wife Evelyn was another character that was essential. She brought the normal too it. It can be hard to relate to a thief and murderer but with her an Paul, I felt it grounded the story for me.

Why should you read it? It's a classic story and the characters are intriguing. Thinking about why characters do things and what kind of moral conscience they have will keep you captivated.

Why shouldn't you read it? It lacks the suspense it needs to make it brilliant. I wasn't up all night thinking about the ending.

Overall it had potential but never achieved what I was looking for. When I closed the last page, it didn’t leave me hanging or in shock. It will be interesting to see what is in store for the next two books.

I give this book 3stars.
★ ★ ★

Happy Reading! 
Always, M

9 comments:

  1. There are so many good reviews of I'll Give You The Sun. I'm afraid I won't like it xD Well, I have to fight my TBR before deciding on anything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't see any reason why you wouldn't love it! Though I get how your expectations may become absurdly high because of all it's hype, but don't let that put you off! As for your TBR, may the odds be ever in your favour ^_^

      Delete
  2. I'll Give You the Sun is the best omg I adore it soooo much! I haven't read the others, but I have seen the film of The Girl on the Train - I know,I know, never watch the film before reading the book. It's a shame about Pigeon-Blood Red, if only it had that extra something.

    Amy;

    Little Moon Elephant

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I looove it tooOooOOoo!!
      Amy!-- You really should read the book first *shakes head* anyhoo, was it any good? Seeing as I know what happens, I'm not too bothered about watching the movie.
      Yeah, I wish it just had that - oomph, but otherwise it is quite good
      Thanks for stopping by ^_^

      Delete
  3. I haven't read the book you first reviewed 'I'll give you the sun'. But, upon your review (and possibly on account of being a twin, like Jude and Noah) I'm going to go out to my nearest book store and scout out the book.

    Have you ever read 'The Shadow of the Wind' by Carlos Ruiz Zafon? I think that has got to be my favourite book so far.

    I really like the layout of your blog and the set-up of the reviews. I'm definitely following for more!

    Steph
    www.socialspying.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh you have a twin? Do ye have that weird twin power where ye know what each other is thinking? Anyway, you should definitely read it!

      No, I haven't. Have never heard of it either. But upon your recommendation, I shall add it to my TBR

      Aw, THANK YOU! *hugs* You just made my day!

      Marian, ^_^ x

      Delete
  4. Haha, I am a twin indeed. You mean twin-telepathy? Unfortunately not, but we're very close.

    I'm glad I made your day that much brighter!
    Thanks for the follow!

    Steph

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've wanted to read "I'll give you the sun" for a really long time so I definitely need to order that soon! And I really enjoyed "The Girl on the train", can't wait to see the movie.

    x Nikita
    BLOG//Jasmine Loves

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You really should! You won't be disappointed :D I haven't seen the movie of the Girl on the Train yet either but the trailer looks so good. Only problem is, I know the ending :L
      Thanks for stopping by Nikita! ^_^

      Delete

I solemnly swear to reply every time ^_^