Thursday, June 1

Poetry: The Last Goodbye



I first began to read poetry in school. Well actually if you count nursery rhymes as a sort of poetry then perhaps I've been reading it my whole life. In school though I've come across poems that I love, that I found a deep connection with, even though the writer is a stranger to me, somehow their words speak sense. Other times the study of poetry has been a nauseating chore. A dreaded 12 page essay on contrast and imagery. It's been years since I've read poetry for the sheer enjoyment of it. And even longer since I've written my own poem. You see, I am not a writer. I blog and I think up stories in my head, but when it comes to making those imaginations in to words, I can't seem to do it. But then today, as I sat by my desk in work, pondering my C++ program, I started writing on a yellow sticky note. I don't know why I've decided to share it on my blog as it really is a very personal poem. To me it is very clear what this is about and probably those who know me will understand but I wonder what others can see in it. That is why I like poetry so  much. It's open to interpretation. Some of my favourite poets are Sylvia Plath and Emily Dickinson. And although I did not capitalise randomly in my poem, the urge was definitely there. Hopefully I shall write some more from now on.

The Last Goodbye ~ Marian

Chips drowned in vinegar, peas turned to mush
Food meant to comfort on this lonely night
even the stars are dim in the black
I need my strength, but I just can't eat.

They flock in and out, each bringing
their sorrows and sorrys .
Their eyes red with pity.
Too many people, too hard to breathe.
Family but  more like strangers.

I look in the mirror, but that's not me
Eyes are flat.
Where are the tears? Why won't they come?
Is this a dream, a nightmare?

I'm at my friends. Dad walks in.
We wrap our young arms around him.
I do not need to hear the words, somehow I already know.

Outside, I play with my friends.
Day turns to dusk.
Where is she?
I fear the worst.

Three o'clock, it's home time.
One by one they leave.
Only my sister and I are left.
No one is here for us. If only they had questioned this.

We make our way to school, the three of us.
It's sunny on this winter morning.
At the front gate, I look back.
She smiles and waves.
The last goodbye.




Do you read/write poetry? Who are your favourite poets?

Happy Reading!
Always, M




5 comments:

  1. What a beautiful poem!!! Even through just reading it to myself, I can feel the emotion flowing through it. Obviously I don't know exactly what it's saying or the story behind it, but I can still feel how personal and raw it is.
    Lately I've really been learning to appreciate good poetry and the art of digging the themes out of them. Some of my favorite poems are "Manifesto" by Wendell Berry, "The Lanyard" by Billy Collins, and "As Kingfishers Catch Fire" by Gerard Manley Hopkins, but I really like Emily Dickinson as well :) I'm not sure I've ever read anything by Sylvia Plath! What do you recommend by her?
    I hope you share more poetry!
    -July, https://julyaemmance.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks July! Haven't heard from you in ages - welcome back <3
      I don't know anything by those poets but I'll definitely read those ones. Hopefully I'll like them as much as you do. Thank you for your recommendations! My favourite from Plath include Mirror and The Arrival of the Bee Box. I studied them in English class a long time ago and they still remain some of my favourites. ^_^

      Delete
    2. Huh, I'll have to check those out for sure! Thanks for the recommendations :)

      Delete
  2. Oh gosh! This is lovely and sad. It's amazing how poetry can capture our feelings and memories in this way.

    ReplyDelete

I solemnly swear to reply every time ^_^